From this: (No original photo available, bugger!) To this: 3 Years*
Our bedroom, now a quiet, calm haven, actually began it’s renovation journey as the second, small living room. It was the original lounge room, we believe, although we are not really sure. *Over the last 6 years, it really has been the room of change… by necessity. This room opened onto the old kitchen / meals space and looked straight into the laundry lean to / thunderbox on one side. On the other, it looked down over the sunken lounge room which was nothing more than an addition, a room built in over the old verandah and walled in by sliding doors. Unfortunately, this is one room I have lost the original photos of. You will have to live with my descriptions! It was lime green on ‘limer’ green with darker green curtains on almost non existent windows. Where once had been silky oak casement windows was now an aluminium non opening window and the remaining space drywalled over. Where once was a set of silky oak French doors leading onto the old verandah, was now a step down into an enclosed verandah, advertised by the real estate agency as a ‘lounge room’. There was an old combustion stove in the middle of one wall and the room was very dark, rank, dank and disgusting. It had only one small window remaining in front, and another to the side. A good clean and rip up of carpet found floorboards, and we had to remove all curtains to have some light.
It became a temporary dining/eating room, until December 2002, when it became the temporary lounge room during the front of the house’s demolition. You can still see the lime green walls, the old combustion stove and the single window in the shot below. It looks lighter because the sun is shining on the only little window and we removed all the curtains.
In December 2002 we started rebuilding the front of the house. This involved removing most of the front of the house completely and demolishing the enclosed verandah room. So, for 12 months whilst we gutted and rebuilt the front of the house around it – this was our lounge room. The only entry was through the kitchen and laundry lean to, or, alternatively, a climb over sawhorses, and through the roofless and wall-less front room. The dog was the security system. I am still amazed nothing ever went missing.
You can see plastic taped over the entry to the kitchen through the hole. This was to keep the dust out of the house as we had to remove a whole front wall of asbestos, and do it safely. Then, as we rebuilt the wall, we would install big, original silky oak casements (from an old QLDer) and silky oak french doors to the front verandah – for it would be at least 5 more years before that verandah was built.
In November 2003, the front wall now rebuilt, we moved back into this room to use it as a bedroom. The move was to be temporary though, as we still needed to build the robe and en-suite, which we could not do until we had begun the kitchen. Come September 04, and it was time to evacuate the ‘bedroom’ again – this time so the old laundry, kitchen and thunderbox could be demolished, and the new kitchen, ensuite and walk in robe all be built.
By now, it was more than just the colour and light that had been improved.
If you have read my other pages, you will know that the kitchen renovation was going on at the same time as the final stages of this room, as they shared the construction of the walls that made up the robe, en-suite and other side of fridge space, pantry, laundry and overheads. During this stage we were cooking in the dining room, (which used to be the guest room), eating in the bedroom (which was the lounge room), sleeping in the guest room (which was the old master bedroom), and doing all dishes and getting water from the famous sinking bathroom. Confused? Imagine how we feel!
When houseguests arrived in the middle of all this, the master bedroom (aka the temporary dining room) becomes a guest room (too bad they had to sleep with the deep freeze, where else can I put it?).
Finally, it becomes a bedroom again in January 2005, with an en-suite and walk in robe.
Stats: Walls are a deep Dulux mocha coffee with a white gloss trim on all woodwork and dado rail. Furniture is Jarrah with a King size bed and bedsides, heritage drawers, all from Cap’n Snooze. White antique Marcella quilt from a market find, lamps made by my friend Sandy from market finds and another Marcella quilt. Chandelier from ebay, wall plates from ebay. French Doors from Big Red shed and hand stripped. All installations and work done by us.
The ensiute and robe were built between what was the old dining space/entry to laundry lean to. More photos of the construction of the framework of these can be found by visiting the kitchen renovation link.
I am standing in the en suite to take this shot. The robe is to my left and you are looking directly at the new laundry, with new kitchen to be constructed directly to the left of that.
The ensuite and robe were completed in 2007 and painted in 2008. Since these shots were taken, I have tiled the area around the washstand and added a heated towel rail.
Stats: The cabinetry and toilet seat are solid Jarrah, the doors on the overhead cabinets are inlaid stained glass the same as the Master bathroom. The window is made of glass bricks which let in loads of light but are not ‘see through’ and open for ventilation and were custom made by Stegbar. Plumbing and installation done by us.
You can see the whole batch of bathroom renovation photos here (along with the finished house, if you like).